Monday, January 2, 2012

No New Year's Resolutions!!

"You've got to get the mind cleared out before you put the truth in it."- Minister Lous Farrakhan

I stopped making New Year's Resolutions a long time ago. Mostly because about 2 or 3 months into the new year, I couldn't remember what I had resolved to change. Instead, I set goals every 3 months. It's like doing spring cleaning every few months. It's great because it makes me reassess where I am in life. It also forces me to see where I'm falling short.

Most of the time, I have a bunch of ideas swimming in my head. When I'm goal setting it forces me to decide whether the idea is one that I can live without trying. I'm the type of person that could never live with regret. I'd wake up and kick myself everyday if I let an opportunity pass me by. I can deal with failure- it's a part of trying, but could never live with the "what if".

After 3 months, I go back to my goal sheet and check off the things that I've accomplished. It usually makes me feel pretty good to know that I've completed something. The things that are not completed are usually those ideas I had swimming in my head that I really didn't need to focus on anyway. I've come to understand that some of the ideas I have are not for me. Sometimes they come to me to share with someone else for them to complete. And I'm okay with that.

So, I didn't eat the collard greens and black eyed peas. Truth is, it has never really worked anyway. What does work is determination, discipline, and focus. I consistently have one of those three, the other two, I have to work on. And no, I haven't promised myself anything crazy by making resolutions. I set goals so that I change my lifestyle overall.

Here are some keys to goal setting:

1. Be realistic. No you will not become an astronaut next year when you haven't even finished undergraduate school. But there is potential for you to enroll in business classes since you want to become an entrepreneur.

2. Don't listen to what other people say. Some people may not understand your goals when you think outside of the box.

3. Your goals should reflect who you are and those things that you are most passionate about.

4. Now is the time. If you went to school to become a teacher, but you always wanted to be an interior decorator, set some goals to move yourself in that direction today!

Here's wishing you and yours a beautiful and prosperous 2012!!!

Do you have these books on your shelf? Available on Kindle and Nook.



No comments:

Post a Comment