Friday, July 1, 2011

The Simple Life

I've recently started work with a company that provides mental health services at nursing homes. Working with the geriatric demographic is different for me. I'm used to working with children and families and having a lot of drama when I go out for a visit. Now when I go see my geriatric patients, their needs are totally different- very simple.

Some of the oldest patients I have are in their 90s. By that time, they've seen and done so much. When I come to see them, they often talk about wanting to hear from their families twice a day instead of once a day. Not knowing how to work their cell phones can cause stress. All they want to do is have something else to do besides play Bingo today. I talked to one of my patients and she began to detail some of the problems she's had because of her diabetes. She cut it short saying "Baby, what am I complaining about. I'm 91 and I'm still here. No complaining is necessary, darling. God is good and I'm here to see another day."

I walked out of her room amazed. I'm over here thinking about how to spread my paycheck around to pay all of our bills. I'm over here worrying about how to work extra hours to catch up with bills. My days are now 12 hour days because the work doesn't end when I'm home. I'm blessed enough to work from home as well as the field.

After visiting my patients yesterday, I woke up this morning asking God for some peace. Trying to figure out how to be calm in the midst of the storm. How to effectively ignore negativity and see it coming when negativity is coming my way.

I'm a work in progress. My goal is to live the simple life. And I pray that I'm blessed to see 91 years old and have clarity and peace of mind.

2 comments: