Thursday, March 3, 2011

Birds of a feather

Take a second to look at the kinds of people that you have in your circle. Who do you keep closest to you?

When my husband first met my friends, his comment to me was that he loved the fact that I had a lot of genuine people around me and in my corner. He loved the fact that I could be a few states away and could make a phone call and easily find someone that would help me out- no questions asked. One of the things that he said that struck me was when he said that the fact that I had friends like that said a lot about who I am. I had never really thought about it before. To me, a friend was someone that gives as much as you do for them; someone that you don't have to see or talk to everyday, but when you do connect, it's like time never passed.

I have to say that I am fortunate to have some great people in my circle. Not only the people that I've known for most of my life, but also the new people that I have met as well as I grow older. Now most of my friends are mothers, wives, working professionals- just like myself. I also tend to hang out with people who are motivated, women who want more than mediocre, and people that think positively and are not down for drama and chaos.

That conversation with him made me realize that we have a choice in the type of people that we have around us when we are adults. It's not like it was when you were in grade school and forced to deal with certain people that you would prefer not to. This includes family too at this point.

Is your social life filled with drama? Something in you is attracting that drama- Birds of a feather.

Can you look back and say that you have at least 1-2 friends that you have a positive relationship with that you have known and connected with for over 10 years? Do you constantly find yourself cycling through friends every few years or so- Birds of a feather.

Do you find yourself thinking at times that your friend is trifling and wondering why they aren't there for you when you need them- Birds of a feather.

If you find that you are unable to have people in your corner that you can truly trust- maybe you are not as trustworthy as you think you are. It's like when I hear women say that they don't hang out with other women because other women cause too much drama...but they forget about the drama that they cause.

The old saying goes "Birds of a feather flock together."

Who is in your flock?

Today's Challenge:

Inventory the type of people you have in your circle. Discover what it is about you that attracts and allows those type of people in your life. Decide what needs to be changed and have the courage to change it. It may be hard to walk away from some of the people that are in your circle after doing the inventory, but at what cost are you allowing them to remain in your circle?

Peace and Blessings,

Serenity & Strength Consulting

No comments:

Post a Comment